Directions to Nieu Bethesda
The unspoilt village of Nieu Bethesda lies tucked in a scenic valley in the foothills of the Sneeuberg Mountains, 50km north of Graaff-Reinet.
Nieu Bethesda is accessed by two roads from the N9. The first is a partially tarred road 27km north of Graaff-Reinet at Wellwood Farm. We anticipate the road will be fully tarred soon.
The other is a good gravel road 60km south of Middleburg, at Bethesda Road railway siding.
Routes to Nieu Bethesda
You may not have heard much of Nieu Bethesda, but the town isnâ€™t in the middle of nowhere. Nieu Bethesda is not only good for a relaxing break, it is also a charming alternative to Graaff Reinet if youâ€™re planning to stop on your journey between Gauteng and the Garden Route or Cape Town and the Wild Coast.
Recommended route between Gauteng and the Garden Route
- From Gauteng, take the N1 to Colesberg
- At Colesberg, take the N9 towards Middelburg
- Travel a further 60km past Middelburg to get to the Nieu Bethesda turn-off at the Bethesda railway siding. Nieu Bethesda is a further 20km on
- After a pleasant stay in Nieu Bethesda at the Owlhouse Backpackers, continue on your way to the Garden Route
- Take the N9 to Uniondale via Graaff Reinet
- From Uniondale, you have two options. You can continue on the N9 towards Oudtshoorn and George or you can go over the Prince Alfred's Pass to Knysna or Plettenberg Bay.
Recommended route between Cape Town & the Wild Coast
- Take the N1 to Beaufort West
- Take the R61 from Beaufort West to Aberdeen
- Take the N9 from Aberdeen to Graaf Reinet
- Travel a further 27km beyond Graaf Reinet to get to the Nieu Bethesda turn-off at Wellwood Farm. Nieu Bethesda is a further 20km on
- After a pleasant stay in Nieu Bethesda at the Owlhouse Backpackers, continue on your way to the Wild Coast
- Take the southern road out of Nieu Bethesda (the partially tarred one) to get back on the N9
- Turn left onto the N9
- Take the R61 to Cradock and Queenstown
- From Queenstown, you can take the N6 to East London, or continue on the R61 to Mthatha via Ngcobo. From East London, it is convenient to get to Chintsa, Kei Mouth, Morgans Bay and Mazeppa Bay. From Mthatha, it is convenient to get to Port St. John's Coffee Bay and Bulungula